Just a few hours ago, Fujifilm announced the launch of the FUJINON Lens XF50mmF1.0 R WR in late September 2020. According to Fujifilm, it is the world’s first F1.0 interchangeable lens with autofocus capability for mirrorless cameras.
Here comes Fujifilm’s own description of the new lens:
The XF50mmF1.0 R WR is a large-diameter mid-telephoto prime lens with the focal length of 50mm (equivalent to 76mm in the 35mm film format). The maximum aperture of F1.0 produces creamy and beautiful bokeh. Its high-performance AF system can focus on a subject swiftly and accurately, making the subject stand out against a background to create artistic portrait photography. The XF50mmF1.0 R WR is the 35th interchangeable lens for the X Series.
With its large-diameter structure, the XF50mmF1.0 R WR is a prime lens boasting the fastest maximum aperture of F1.0 in the history of interchangeable lenses for Fujifilm’s digital cameras. The use of advanced optical technology controls spherical aberration, thereby capturing pictures with creamy and beautiful bokeh. The lens is also equipped with a fast and accurate AF mechanism to capture the photographic moment for high-quality portrait photography. Designed based on the compact and lightweight “X Mount system” this ultra-bright F1.0 lens weighs only 845g and measures just 103.5mm for excellent portability. Its dust and weather resistance and ability to operate at temperatures of down to -10℃ makes it highly practical.
XF50mm F1.0 R WR Main Features
Maximum aperture of F1.0 for creamy and beautiful bokeh
- The use of large-diameter lens elements has enabled the maximum aperture of F1.0. The lens consists of 12 elements, including one aspherical element and two ED elements, in nine groups to keep spherical aberration under control. This delivers creamy and beautiful bokeh, making the subject stand out to add an artistic flair.
- With its high resolution, the lens can be stopped down for greater image sharpness, providing comprehensive photographic versatility.
Fast and accurate AF performance
- The DC motor suitable for driving large lens elements works with the on-sensor phase detection AF system, built into Fujifilm’s digital cameras to achieve smooth AF. This allows fast and accurate focusing on the main subject even when the depth of field is shallow, which requires an advanced level of autofocusing accuracy.
- The lens supports digital cameras’ Face / Eye AF function to capture a photogenic facial expression of a subject with accuracy. This makes it a perfect lens for portrait photography.
- By bringing a large amount of light into the sensor, XF50mmF1.0 R WR can autofocus smoothly at near-darkness -7EV*** luminance level, an improvement on previous models’ -6EV luminance limit. Even in nightscape photography or other low-light conditions, the lens produces high-quality images with accurate focus, while mitigating camera shakes and reducing digital noise.
High level of practical usability
- As the lens is designed based on the compact and lightweight “X Mount system” it weighs only 845g and measures just 103.5mm for excellent portability.
- The lens barrel is weather-sealed in 11 locations to ensure dust and weather resistance. It also operates at temperatures of down to -10℃. Users can continue shooting even in light rain or in harsh dusty conditions.
- The control resolution of the manual focus ring has been improved. Its rotating angle of 120 degrees means the focus plane can be adjusted from the minimum working distance to infinity quickly with minimal movement. The ring is also smooth to operate, responding to subtle movements of the fingertips, to achieve an accurate focusing.
- Fujifilm Launches the Fujinon XF50mm F1.0 R WR Lens - 3.September.2020
- Fujifilm Introduces New FUJIFILM EF-60 Shoe Flash and FUJIFILM EF-W1 Wireless Commander - 30.July.2020
- Capture One FujiLove Spring Sale - 21.April.2020
- Replay: FujiLove Stay-At-Home LIVE Webinar - 8.April.2020
- Capture One Update Brings First Fujifilm X-T4 Support - 3.March.2020