Huge day for Fujifilm. During the X-Series 5th Anniversary Event in Tokyo, Fujifilm announces three new cameras and one new lens in their X-series line-up. Among them: the most impatiently awaited X-Pro2. FujiLove has all the details for you!
Additionally Fujifilm announces the new Fujifilm FinePix XP90 compact camera and that it is developing a new high-end external, shoe mount flash EF-X500.
Scroll below to browse the specifications of all the new X-series products being announced today by Fujifilm or use these quick links to read the following FujiLove X-Pro2 articles:
Let’s start with the Fujifilm X-Pro2, a camera that everyone has been waiting for. Looking at the specifications of the X-Pro2, there is nothing else to say than that Fujifilm has been – as usual – very carefully listening to the X-Series users.
Have a look at the key new features of the X-Pro2:
1. Newly developed 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor
– The X-Pro2 features the new 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III sensor that uses a unique random color filter array to reduce moiré and false colors without the need for an optical low-pass filter (OLPF). By eliminating the OLPF the resolving power of FUJINON lenses is maximized to deliver images comparable to a larger, higher resolution sensor.
– Fujifilm’s unique color reproduction technology, developed through over 80 years of producing photographic film, delivers beautiful colors just as you remember them, including warm skin tones, clear blue skies, and the vivid greens of foliage.
– The X-Pro2 features the new ACROS Film Simulation mode. Harnessing the high processing performance of the X Processor Pro, this mode produces smooth tones, deep blacks and rich textures that are far superior to conventional monochrome modes.
– A new Grain Effect mode adds graininess to photographs. This mode produces images reminiscent of old film photos, especially when printed
– Improved noise reduction has been made possible by an improvement in signal processing technology. High ISO sensitivity performance has also been improved to the point that the whole sensitivity range – up to the maximum ISO 12,800 – can now be used with confidence. Even the higher settings have smoother gradations and deeper blacks, vastly increasing low light shooting options.
– An improved electric charge transfer rate and algorithm means ultra-fast readout speeds are possible. This has led to a significant improvement in functions including AF speed and continuous shooting performance.
2. Ultra-high performance X-Processor Pro boosts processing speeds by 4x that of a conventional processor.
– The powerful X-Processor Pro dramatically improves a wide range of response times. Start-up time is now just 0.4sec., plus the camera also boasts the shortest shooting interval of 0.25sec., a shutter time lag of 0.05 sec. and AF in 0.06 sec.)
– By using compressed RAW files, performance and functionality now meets the needs of professional photographers, including faster live view and even higher definition movies.
3. The world’s first Advanced Hybrid Multi Viewfinder, which combines switchable optical and electronic viewfinders
– The EVF uses an LCD with 2.36 million dots. The display speed has been improved from the 54fps of the previous model to a maximum speed of 85fps, which substantially reduces the image delay phenomenon when tracking a moving subject. Blackout time after release has also been reduced by approximately half, to 150ms, so it’s comparable to an optical viewfinder.
– The optical viewfinder’s design is based on the proven system from the X-Pro1. It incorporates a diopter correction mechanism and has a longer eye point of 16mm so the finder is easier to see through. In addition, the telephoto bright frame has been enlarged from a focal length of 60mm to 140mm, further enhancing practicality and convenience.
– The X-Pro2 features an Electronic Rangefinder (ERF) mode that was highly rated on the X100 series. It displays a small electronic viewfinder on top of the optical viewfinder, which can be used to check focus, the angle-of-view, exposure and white balance in real-time, even when taking photos through the OVF.
4. The number of selectable focusing points has been expanded from 49 on previous models to 77 for greater functionality and faster autofocus.
– Approximately 40% of the imaging area is now covered by fast, precise phase detection AF pixels, which means focusing speeds when photographing moving subjects have improved dramatically. By combining the processing capabilities of the new X Processor Pro with a contrast AF readout speed that’s 2x faster than before, the X-Pro2 delivers the fastest AF performance ever in an X-Series camera.
– By improving the predictive AF algorithm and increasing the accuracy of the phase detection AF information continuous shooting at up to 8.0fps is possible.
5. New focal plane shutter with a top speed of 1/8000 sec. and flash sync up to 1/250 sec.
– A faster mechanical shutter gives extra flexibility for aperture selections in bright conditions or when shooting with flash during the day. In addition, while noise and vibration levels typically increase with faster shutter speeds, the X-Pro2 is quieter and vibrates less compared to conventional models thanks to the optimization of key controls and parts.
– The focal plane shutter now boasts a top speed of 1/8000 sec., flash sync at up to 1/250sec and shutter durability of 150,000 shots, making it both versatile and reliable.
6. Robust, weather resistant body meets the needs of professional photographers.
– The body is made from rigid magnesium alloy and has seals in approximately 61 places making it splash and dust resistant. It will also continue to operate in temperatures as low as -10°C so it can be used almost anywhere without having to worry about the conditions.
– It features the same semi-gloss black finish as the X-Pro1. This finish can only be added after a thorough polishing and adds a luxurious touch that will please câmera enthusiasts.
– A dual SD slot has been added for the first time in an X-series camera. Not only does this reduce the need to replace cards frequently, it also enables multi-shot continuous shooting and reduces the risk of data loss.
– The rear LCD uses a 3 inch display with 1.62-million dots. This makes it perfect for composing images as well as assessing shots from the X-Trans CMOS III sensor for sharpness, colour accuracy and white balance.
7. With key functions located on the right hand side of the camera body, all main controls can be accessed without taking your eye from the viewfinder.
– The shutter speed dial, exposure compensation dial and finder switching lever are all milled from aluminium for a premium look and comfortable feel.
– Reminiscent of old film cameras, the ISO sensitivity dial is now built-in to the shutter speed dial. This means camera settings can be confirmed at a glance without having to turn the power on.
– A command dial position (C) has been added to the exposure compensation dial. Selecting this function switches exposure compensation operation to the front command dial and expands the range to ±5EV.
– Command dials are now featured on both the front and rear of the camera. By adding a push function, they are easier to use, but still retain dust and splash resistance.
– A total of six function buttons are included, allowing easier access to regularly used functions.
– The addition of center-weighted metering is ideal for everyday shooting when using the optical viewfinder. As it is a more basic metering method, it’s perfect for photographers who don’t want to rely on high levels of metering automation.
– A new Focus Lever enables users to quickly select a focusing point, speeding up operation.
8. New graphical user interface design
– New categories have been added to the tabs on the menu screen, allowing faster access to the menu required.
– A maximum of 16 frequently used items can be registered to the new My Menu feature. When combined with the 16 items from the Q Menu, a total of 32 shortcuts can be created.
– The finder display offers a greater level of customization so it can further match the individual needs of the photographer.
– The menu screen font and layout have been changed for a cleaner and more stylish look.
– A Bright Frame Simulation function has been added to the optical viewfinder mode. Here, the angle of view of each focal length can be confirmed without having to replace the lens, so the user can change lenses more accurately.
9. Accessories for extra convenience
– Hand Grip MHG-XPRO2: improves the grip on the camera and reduces the chances of camera shake, especially when using heavy, large aperture lenses. This grip can be left in place when using a tripod and enables users to change the battery and SD card without having to remove the grip from the body. The Arca Swiss plate can be used as a quick release with compatible tripods.
– Leather Case BLC-XPRO2: this genuine-leather bottom case elegantly shows off the X-Pro2’s classic design while protecting the camera body. The battery can be replaced while the case is attached to the camera and the case comes with a cloth to wrap the entire camera body when storing it in a bag.
– By downloading the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote app to your smartphone or tablet device, users can use the Remote Control function, which allows a wealth of control, even from a distance. This functionality is great for a wide variety of shots, including group photos, self-portraits and animals in their natural habitat.
– Photos and videos can be sent to devices such as your smartphone with an easy one-touch operation. Pictures and videos on the camera can be browsed, selected, and imported using your smartphone, all without the hassle of inputting an ID or password. It is also possible to add location information acquired by the smartphone or tablet to the image.
– Wi-Fi® Transfer is supported, enabling wireless backup of the data to a computer.
X-E2s is the successor of the X-E2 rangefinder-style interchangeable lens camera by Fujifilm.
Let’s have a look at the key features of the X-E2s:
1. Real-Time Viewfinder in a rangefinder-style model
The 2.36 million-dot organic EL display and dedicated viewfinder lens enables the X-E2S to offer a display magnification of 0.62x with a clear and high-definition viewfinder screen. In addition, the world’s shortest display time lag of just 0.005 seconds ensures photographers can capture every shooting opportunity while looking at the live view through the viewfinder.
2. Compact and lightweight body with improved handling and optimised grip
Popular features of the X-E2 including top-plate dials and a compact and lightweight body weighing just 350g have been transferred to the X-E2S. In addition, the optimized shape of the grip enables users to change settings quickly while holding the camera. The seven function buttons on the top and back of the body can be customized to the user’s needs. The Auto Mode Switch provides the function of the fully automatic Advanced SR Auto mode which recognizes the scene type automatically and optimizes settings for the best possible photograph.
3. APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor with built-in phase detection AF and EXR Processor II image processing engine combine to deliver superb results.
The camera’s phase detection AF enables the X-E2S to deliver a blistering performance with autofocusing in as little as 0.06 seconds, a start-up time of 0.5 seconds, shutter time lag of 0.05 seconds and a shooting interval of 0.5 seconds. With Fujifilm’s unique sensor technology cultivated through many years of experience in research and development of photographic films, the X-E2S delivers stunning results.
4. New AF system for capturing moving subjects
The new AF system in the X-E2S adds the new Zone and Wide/Tracking options to the existing Single Point mode to focus on one of 49 points for fast and precise focusing The new modes offer a vastly improved focusing performance on moving subjects across the 77-point AF area.
5. A comprehensive line-up of 21 high-performance FUJINON X-mount lenses, covering ultra-wide-angle to super telephoto options
The latest digital technologies have been used to develop X-mount lenses, which offer high-precision optical designs for the best possible image quality. Including the FUJINON XF100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR announced today, the XF line-up has been expanded to 21 lenses, all of which deliver incredible definition when used with the X-E2S.
Fujifilm X70 is a premium compact digital camera featuring a new Fujinon 18.5mm F2.8 lens suitable for a range of applications from landscapes to snapshots. The camera, which will be available in February 2016, features an APS-C sized X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II image processing engine. The X70 bears all the hallmarks of the range combining a simple manual operation with superior image quality and versatile picture-taking functions. The X70 is the first X-Series model to offer a touchscreen display that rotates 180 degrees enabling users to shoot from up high, down low and capture selfies.
Key features of the X70:
1. New FUJINON 18.5mm F2.8 lens for a wide range of shooting conditions from landscapes to snapshots
By using the optical design from the X100T, it has been possible to develop a compact, high quality wide-angle lens in a smaller, thinner body. The single focal length lens distributes light evenly across the frame to produce a high-resolution image from the centre to the edges.
2. High-quality finish and easy operation encourage creativity
Weighing approximately 340g, the X70 is the lightest X-Series camera with an APS-C sized sensor. The top-plate features milled aluminum exposure compensation and shutter speed dials, making it easy to quickly access key features, while the aperture and focusing rings are also made from milled aluminum to help keep weight down. Apertures can be changed in 1/3 or 1 stop increments, plus the focusing ring doubles up as a control ring for quick access to a range of functions.
The X70 is also equipped with an Auto Mode Switch lever for selecting the fully automatic Advanced SR Auto mode. Once selected, the camera automatically chooses the optimum settings for great results on any scene.
3. Compact body with an APS-C sized X-Trans CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II image processing engine
Key technologies that deliver the high quality images unique to X-Series models have been compressed into a pocket-sized body. This includes the stunning color reproduction technology, developed as a result of more than 80 years of photographic film research, and the unique Lens Modulation Optimizer (LMO) image processing technology that corrects optical defects such as diffraction to achieve edge-to-edge sharpness and a realistic three-dimensional effect.
On-sensor phase detection AF focuses in an ultra-fast 0.1 sec and, thanks to the high-speed EXR Processor II image processor, the camera starts up in just 0.5sec, has a shutter time lag of 0.01sec and shooting interval of 0.5sec.
4. The first 180-degree tilting touchscreen LCD in an X-Series camera
The X70 features a touchscreen LCD; a first for the X-Series. Turning on the Touch Panel Settings enables Touch Shot and Focus Area Selection when shooting. During playback, intuitive smartphone-style operations including swipe, drag, pinch in/out, and double-tap scaling can be performed. By combining the Touch Shot function with the 180-degree tilt LCD, you can get even more creative. Place the camera on the ground and use Touch Shot for a child’s or pet’s eye view. The same function also makes it easier to shoot selfies.
5. Dedicated accessories to expand the world of the X70
Four dedicated optional accessories have been developed to make the X70 more versatile. The four include the BLC-X70 half leather case for protection and to provide an extra grip, the LH-X70 lens hood to cut down flare and ghosting, the VF-X21 optical viewfinder for those who prefer to frame images through a finder and the WCL-X70 wide conversion lens giving a 21mm view (35mm equivalent).
XF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
The new Fujinon XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR will be added to the X-Series mirrorless camera line-up in February 2016. With its introduction the premium mirrorless X-Series range now expand to a super telephoto option.
The Fujinon XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR is a super telephoto zoom lens that covers a 35mm focal length equivalent of 152-609mm. The high performance optical construction of 21 elements in 14 groups includes five ED lenses and one Super ED lens to help reduce chromatic aberration that often occurs in telephoto lenses. As a result, it delivers the highest image quality in its class. The lens has been designed for handheld shooting with a 5.0-stop image stabilization system and weighs less than 1.4kg. Linear motor for fast autofocusing makes it perfect for shooting fast-moving subjects including aircraft and motorsports. The lens is also both water and dust resistant and can operate in temperatures as low as -10°C, so it is suitable for use in a wide range of outdoor shooting conditions. A fluorine coating has also been applied to the front lens element to repel water and dirt, further improving the toughness of the lens.
1. Reduced chromatic aberration to help deliver high resolution images
– The optical construction of 21 elements in 14 groups, which includes five ED lenses and a Super ED lens, delivers results comparable to a fluorite lens, and by reducing axial chromatic aberration it produces images full of detail.
– The maximum magnification is 0.19x, enabling users to shoot telephoto macro images.
2. Class-leading 5.0-stop image stabilization
– A 5.0-stop image stabilization system – the most powerful in any super telephoto zoom lens – produces bulr-free results even at the maximum telephoto setting of 609mm (35mm equivalent). Also, if panning is detected, the lens automatically switches camera shake correction to the vertical plane only.
3. Fast and quiet AF thanks to twin linear motors
– Twin linear motors are used to deliver fast focusing on moving subjects. The motors are so quiet that the lens is ideal for shooting live music performances and theatre productions.
– Even faster AF shooting is possible with the focus limiter function, which limits the close focusing point to 5m.
4. Compact and lightweight design
– The Fujinon XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR has a weight of less than 1.4kg and reduces the strain of shooting handheld substantially. When mounted to the FUJIFILM X-T1 body, the combined weight is below 2kg. It enhances user mobility. In addition, the weight distribution of the lens when attached to a body makes it feel lighter than it really is.
5. Water/dust resistance, -10°C low-temperature operation and fluorine coating
– The lens features 13 water and dust resistant seals at 12 points, allowing you to shoot with confidence in tough outdoor environments.
– The fluorine coating applied to the front lens element is water repellent and it is less susceptible to smudges and can easily be cleaned.
6. Lens hood with a polarizing filter window and lock mechanism
– The lens hood features a sliding window so a polarizing filter can still be accessed even when the hood is in place.
– The hood also features a locking mechanism to keep securely attached to the lens.
7. Compatible with the 1.4x Teleconverter
– The lens offers compatibility with the XF1.4X TC WR teleconverter. When attached, it becomes a 140-560mm F6.3-8 or 213-853mm (35mm equivalent). Phase detection AF shooting remains possible, even at F8.
– A lens plate (MLP-75XF) compatible with ARCA SWISS tripods is available as an optional extra. This plate is also compatible with the XF50-140mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR.
- Fujifilm Launches the Fujinon XF50mm F1.0 R WR Lens - 3.September.2020
- Fujifilm Introduces New FUJIFILM EF-60 Shoe Flash and FUJIFILM EF-W1 Wireless Commander - 30.July.2020
- Capture One FujiLove Spring Sale - 21.April.2020
- Replay: FujiLove Stay-At-Home LIVE Webinar - 8.April.2020
- Capture One Update Brings First Fujifilm X-T4 Support - 3.March.2020